Twenty years ago, most organizations chose minicomputers running proprietary operating systems like OpenVMS to run their business applications. Many are still running today in the UK and around the world in businesses and public sector organizations of every size. But it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep these legacy IT systems running as the availability of replacement hardware and skilled personnel reduces.
Challenges for IT
IT departments are under pressure to integrate all their systems, enhance applications for the business, improve systems resilience, and reduce costs. They consider any minicomputers running OpenVMS and other proprietary operating systems to be legacy systems—systems inherited from a previous generation.
Most modern IT departments are finding it difficult to support these applications, but are equally finding it difficult to move them onto Windows or Unix.
- It is becoming increasingly expensive and difficult to support and maintain legacy IT systems as vendors cancel support and skilled resources become harder to find.
- Systems failures often result in financial losses, business disruption, and may even lead to disastrous legal, security, and safety situations.
- Being unable to change or adapt your legacy systems to new business requirements can impede your company’s progress and add unnecessary costs.
- Legacy IT systems represent a significant investment of your company’s resources including data, logic, and reliable processes that have been developed over decades, specifically for your business. These systems are often used to provide fundamental competitive advantages.
RapidGen has been integrating and modernizing OpenVMS and other legacy IT systems for 30 years. The requirements for each IT department are always unique.
RapidGen consultants start by assessing your legacy systems and recommending the best way to meet your requirements by providing consulting expertise and software for…
Specialized legacy systems management improves resilience and reliability.
- Proactive Monitoring: Preventive maintenance reduces failures.
- Disaster Recovery: Design and test business continuity plans.
- Urgent Support: Expert help available on-call and on-site.
Legacy systems data from proprietary data sources can be easily integrated.
- Relational and Non-Relational: Map complex, proprietary data formats easily.
- Custom Data Interfaces: Designed specifically for your data on your systems.
- Extract, Transform and Load: Move data reliably, accurately, and quickly.
Migration and Modernization
Migrating legacy systems to a modern architecture can reduce ongoing costs.
- Platform, Data, and Application: Analyze dependencies across the entire system.
- Generate Programs: Efficiently reproduce application logic and data in new environment.
- Integrate and Test: Ensure legacy application is faithfully replicated.
Emulating legacy systems offers most of the benefits of migration, but with reduced project costs and risk.
- Replace old hardware, to reduce risk, energy costs, and floorspace requirements.
- Take advantage of much faster modern hardware that is easy to replace.
- Quickly and easily implement without having to change your legacy system applications.
RapidGen consultants use RapidGen’s own software to rapidly generate custom programs and interfaces. This unique combination of software, expertise, and experience enables RapidGen to deliver high-quality, legacy IT systems management, integration and modernization projects – faster and more reliably than anyone else.
RapidGen software accelerates legacy systems integration and migration projects.
RapidGen is the only UK software and consulting company that has been integrating and modernising midrange systems, such as OpenVMS, for 30 years.
Hundreds of leading organizations have chosen RapidGen to manage, integrate, and migrate their legacy IT Systems.